Wednesday, September 23, 2009

1 Year Ago


It doesn't seem possible that a whole year has gone by since we were in Germany. Chuck & I keep looking at our pictures and the press conference movie on Vimeo. (The link is posted on the left side of the blog.) Our memories are still very vivid and I STILL think it was the trip of my lifetime. I'm sure we will go on others, but none as meaningful to me.

We went to Dansville on Labor Day Week-end and at a bakery vendor they had the mandelhorns that we ate all over Germany. We have to go to Germany to get THE best. And I've made 3 plum cakes, so far this season. I'm saving the recipe I got from Hannah & Clara for apple cake. Helga made an apple cake from that recipe and Ruth made the plum cake from that recipe. The photo is of the plum cake we had at the Kind's. Oh, yes, that's Helga and Hannah behind the cake. And we also had a surprise plum cake brought to us in Brake from Ulla. And this was a different recipe ... all excellent!

I had fun converting the recipe from metric and made a few ... not as successful cakes ... before I found the right amounts. None were bad enough to throw away, just not "company" ready.

And Irondequoit has it's Oktoberfest this week-end and last. We went last week-end and Chuck had Weinerschnitzel and beer and I had rouladen with my Reisling. The rouladen was as good as we had at the lovely luncheon in Ovelgönne.

I know I've gone on about the food, but what I enjoyed most was the wonderful people we met and the welcoming attitude. I was not sure what it would be like and was so glad to witness the fact that the country is acknowledging the holocaust with its museums. We saw many school groups touring Sachenhausen Concentration Camp.

It was a powerful visit for me and I, again, thank Clara & Hannah for opening the door for me!!

No comments: