Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A little background for our trip.

I couldn't help myself. I put my things temporarily in the suitcase. It fits with room to spare! I finally figured out that my iPod will load my address book and calendar and it worked!

I mentioned in yesterday's blog that Bernd & Pat were in Germany last year. During their stay they were given 2 books, "Ist Denn Da Was Gewesen?" (Did It Really Happen?) by Ursula Bernhold & Almut Setje-Eilers and "Juden In Der Wesermarsch" 1933 - 1945 by Gerd Strachotta. In each book my family and I are mentioned several times. That's how we found out I was also picked up Kristallnächt. Dad was taken to the concentration camp, Sachsenhausen, and released on 14 December 1938. Opa, my grandfather, was released from a local facility after a few days & Mom & I were only held a few hours.

I "googled" the authors and found an email address for Ursula Bernhold. I asked her if she lived near Brake, that we were going to Brake and that I'd like her to autograph my book. That communication has snowballed into our trip being extra special. Ulla answered and has lots of options planned for us. Some are fun things, but some are adventures into my past. There is a Jewish cemetery nearby with my grandmother, 2 great-grandparents & 1 great-great grandparent in it that we will visit. The most exciting is that there is a press conference planned for Sept. 18 followed by a luncheon. WOW! If Bernd & Pat didn't go last year, we wouldn't know about the recorded history because the books are in German.

This is my great-grandfather's marker in the historically preserved Jewish cemetery in Ovelgönne.
The people in the photo are Bernd - my brother, Ann - my step sister, Pat - my sister-in-law and Steve - Ann's husband. After Mom died, Dad married Rose - Ann's mother. Rose was married to Heinrich August Eilers and he was from Ovelgönne. Dad did not know him, but went to school with 2 of his younger brothers. And we will find out if Ann's father is related to the Eilers that was Ulla's co-author. ("Ist Denn Da Was Gewesen?" (Did It Really Happen?) by Ursula Bernhold & Almut Setje-Eilers)

Now you can begin to see why our trip is sounding more exciting to us each day. I am very much looking forward to meeting all these people that are involved in this trip, especially Hannah and Clara and their families.

No comments: