Tuesday, September 30, 2008

We're Back

We are regrettably, but safely back home. It has been an amazing trip, which I will try to review over the next few weeks as I'm still processing. This may be a life long project.

Colleen asked me what quilting I was bringing and I hadn't thought to pack any. So I found a small project to tuck into a corner of the suitcase. And that's where it sat for the entire trip. I did get it out once, but never got to quilt.

The funniest thing happened when I handed my passport to the first officer in Frankfurt. She saw that I was born in Germany and asked me in German (which I understood), "How long have you been in America?" When I said 69 years she said in English, "Have a nice trip."

And I sent emails to the family when we were in Göttingen just to let them know we arrived, but that was the only time we had internet access. In the U. S. A. internet seems to be free at most hotels, but not in Germany ... 8 € for each 1/2 hour seemed too much for us. It was amusing to me to type on an Apple keyboard in Germany as the "y" & "z" keys are reversed and there are actual keys for ä, ë and ü, not the keystrokes I have to use.

And we have never walked so much. We ate very well and did not gain weight, which surprised us because we sure ate the most delicious baked goods and the much richer foods than we are used to eating ... real whipped cream and butter and rich breakfast/luncheon meats. Mmmmm!

Public transportation is marvelous in Germany. It probably is all over Europe, but Germany is where we experienced it. We had a Mercedes Benz with a GPS. What a great invention that is! The roads are well maintained. Regrettably, when we go back, we will have to go with someone under 70 as we can't rent a car, but will pack comfortable shoes and be knowledgeable about public transportation.

Here we are on our first night in Rottenberg. Claire, Pat ( my sister-in-law), Bernd (my brother) and Chuck. Even being together for 18 days we are still talking. You'd think we would run out of things to say, but we didn't. Pat is THE BEST organizer! She had lists and maps and booked the most wonderful, convenient accommodations at reasonable prices. They were clean ... some smaller rooms than others. The Fritz in Hamburg was the one I had doubts about as we rode past it several times trying to find a parking spot, but it was perfect with public transportation right across the street and lots of variety in eating establishments within walking distance.

Now it's back to laundry and wonderful memories. It's good to be home, but already I miss the feather beds. I'll add more as we sort out the photos and my journal.

1 comment:

don said...

Claire-
Believe it or not, I would know Bernie if I passed him on the street! It sounds as though you had a wonderful trip and it was well worth the long airplane ride.
Don Michel