Sunday, May 17, 2009

How Did They Do It?

On Fri. we had a lovely dinner with Cindy and Charlie. We were graced by some bluebirds and other birds. Their yard is wonderful!

And then we came home. Chuck was wondering what was wrong with the garage door opener, when we realized that there was no power for most of the neighborhood. Actually, we found out that it was to about 5,000 homes. We couldn't see well enough to read or sew. When it didn't go on after an hour, I decided I HAD to read. I surrounded myself with 7 candles and did read, but it was a struggle. How did they do it ... way back before power? I am SO spoiled! The light was barely enough to read. I certainly couldn't make those small stitches on my quilt in that light. What a relief when the power came back on!

Yesterday I was at a quilt workshop taught by Carol Doak on paper piecing. She is funny and very informative. I liked the workshop and learned some tricks ... but I still don't enjoy paper piecing. Will I use it? You betcha! It is a great way to get exact blocks. I meant to bring my book for Carol to sign, but forgot.

In September I'm taking a workshop from Paula Nadlestern. Wow! Our quilt club really is entertaining some wonderful speakers. I'll not forget my book for Paula to sign ... I hope!

No comments: