Sunday, May 10, 2009

More D. C.

I tried to do this all yesterday, but "it" wouldn't let me access any more of Chuck's lovely photos. GRRRR!! It still won't! So, if you wish to see some of D. C. go to the D. C. link.
I did not include ALL of them because there are too many. It gives you a taste of our trip. We were impressed with the wonderful memorials and museums. We especially liked the F. D. R.

And the Holocaust Museum. It must be experienced. I wrote to them ahead of time and sent them my blog site. I got a response and they said they would like my story, but just the WWII memories. I pulled out those parts and brought them to the Archive Department and they couldn't have been more appreciative. They also suggested that if I have any documents, I might consider giving it to them and I am considering doing that. It would be a permanent way of preserving them and accessible to all family members ... even those that may not be as interested, yet. After all, it took me until I was in my 70's to put my history together because it wasn't "history" to me ... just my life. I do have all the documents on disk for family to access now, but the paper was not archival or acid free in 1930's and 1940's so it would be better preserved there.

Beside the memorials and museums we visited the Saudi Arabian embassy, but were not allowed to take cameras or our cell phones in, which was too bad. It is a lovely embassy, as they probably all are, but some of our group got to put on the native outfits that are worn in Saudi Arabia and one of those participants wondered if anyone had a secret camera so he could be photographed in his outfit. They did get a photo taken by a Saudi from the embassy and then emailed to them. They explained that the outfits are for comfort in the heat and blowing sand. Their talk was very interesting.

We met a couple, attending the Elderhostel, from Asheville that is acquainted with a former teacher friend and we had dinner with another former teacher. We did not connect with another friend as we were on the go and no other free time. We really will have to go back.

Now we will enjoy the flowers that are springing up here and then THE quilt show.

No comments: