Thursday, January 7, 2010

Weinberg Saga Continues

Last night, a little before 6 P. M. the phone rang. If I'd had an clue what this phone call would be about, I would have taped it or taken notes. The woman introduced herself (I'll put it in my blog after I ask her if it is alright & for now I'll call her R. N.) and told me she got my name from Ursula Bernhold. I remember Ulla asking me if it was OK if she gave my information to her. Of course I accepted. Especially since she had some of my family history.

When I asked how she got the information, she chuckled and said it was kind of convoluted. (That sounds like how I got my history.) It seems R. N.'s family is Jewish, from the Wesermarch area and managed to escape. I think she said they hid in Amsterdam(?). Sometime after the war they came to the U. S. Sometime after that R. N.'s mother wrote her memoirs and when she died R. N. received all her things, including the memoirs which were mixed up with the rest of the items. R. N. didn't know they were there. So they, like Opa's writings, languished somewhere.

In 2002 R. N. was going through all those things and found the memoirs. After reading it she asked her cousin who lives in (Oldenburg?) Germany if she would like a copy and the cousin said yes. The cousin was familiar with Ulla's research and asked Ulla if she was interested. Ulla was and these are slated to be part of a book that is expected to be published in the spring. But R. N. has a partial English translation and has offered that to me now.

I finally had the sense to asked R. N. where she was calling from and she said Buffalo! That's right around the corner! I don't know if she is going to send them or give them to me when I meet her on Jan. 14. It seems she has a doctor here that she visits once a year! I'm so excited to meet her.

And the reference to Weinberg? It seems Opa (perhaps Dad) was offered a political position in Brake, but only if he would become baptized. He refused.

Now I'm so curious about all the new found information. Stay tuned, as surely there will be more!

No comments: