Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lifted my leg ... without support!!

Sunday is the day of rest? Not here, unless you call a little sleeping in and only 1 therapy today, rest. But even though I'm griping, I'm making progress. Holding my leg in the air without a person or strap for support, as I get out of bed has been a killer, but I did it today. Walking & stairs aren't bad. Sitting with the knee bent isn't comfortable. But each day is a visible improvement because I can do more or it's easier. Got my pants, shoes & socks on by myself.

My incentive? Nancy ... no last names of the innocent are used. She was the woman in the room next to me at the hospital that screamed all night the first night & made me sleep deprived. When we went to PT, there she was ... sound asleep & nobody could wake her up. She missed 1 entire day of work and I heard her yell several times during the day. I felt so sorry for her as she looked like she had other health problems too and would be rehabbing much longer than me.

Yesterday in rehab she was raising her knee replaced leg off the bed unassisted like she should, and I must say, she looked healthier, too. Not fair. Today she went home ... her goal ... to her 1 story house.

I've never been known to be speedy (no laughing) about anything, so I'll be happy to do my usual slow and steady.

When will I be home? When I can walk a distance and the therapists are across the room not worrying about me ... same with the stairs & when I can bend my knee back to a 90° angle. My incentive? Chuck's grilling! Veggies here are overcooked, gravy is a staple, beef is very brown ... no redness. I am eating healthy & don't have much of an appetite & there are lots of choices ... certainly not loosing weight, even with the hard work. They serve small portions with plenty of calories.

That's all for today ... nap time!

No comments: